Re: Illuminated - help!

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:36:14 -0000

> Is it still an important part of How Glorantha Works? Will
illuminated
> beings play a major role in the Hero Wars, as they are canonically
> envisioned?

I think it's an important part at a theoretical level, but hasn't much practical effect in terms of game mechanics or running games. We know how illuminated characters behave from the examples of such in the game background.

You don't have to understand illumination per se to just play a character 'like that'. For example, we know how Oddi the Keen behaved, so what's hard about playing a character a bit like Oddi? I don't actualy have to be a shaman, or have a deep understanding of shamanism to play a character who behaves (sort of a bit like) the way shamans do. I don't have to be a mysic to play a character a bit like Li Mu Bi in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The same goes for Illumination.

Actualy, Li Mu Bi is a reasonable example of a mystic in action. Why does he want to train Jen? She's clearly a lost cause - a highly destructive person that cares little or nothing for the effects of her actions on those around her. Yet Li Mu Bai wants to train her to become basicaly the ultimate warrior. Why? Well, he tells us that he has a choice between family life and transcendence. If he transcends the world he leaves the mundane cares of existence behind. I think assuming he's used his Wu Dan powers for good because he's a good and moral person is a mistake. I think the reason he (and Qi Gong,) do it is because they are on the path to enlightenment and they want others to follow, and a peacefull world is the best environment within which to do so. But here's Jen, the student of a lifetime. The fact she's a bitch isn't realy important, only transcendence is important. Qi Gong knows that Anakin is extremely dengerous, but he's much more concerned with abstruse philosohpical twaddle about 'ballancing the force' (on what, one has to ask?) than the practical results of his actions.

Sorry, gone off on a bit of a rant there.

Simon Hibbs