Re: Maximum Game Fun vs. Setting Fidelity

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:15:45 -0000

Some thoughts:
  1. Always remember Glorantha is a setting and Heroquest is a game that uses that setting. Go with what your Heroquest game requires, even if it is not published Glorantha.
  2. Oddball characters: There is a real danger they can steal the limelight fromother characters, or be difficult to narrate within a group framework.
  3. Hero Bands: After reading MOLAD I realize quite how much Hero Bands are your friends here. The problem is that while we know that as the Hero Wars approach many new, or old but forbidden, ways of thinking will come to the fore again in a struggle of competing ideologies, Heroquest works best in communities. It is a perfect setting justification for your own ideas and themes, but (once again) Heroquest works best in communities where relationships are important. So create your own Hero Band. A Hero Band gives you the ability to define that 'local' belief, custom, or behaviour within the context of a community. The guardian lets you give adherents special magic (add a small religious cult if you need to) to further their cause. The community gives the player relationships. (And if the players want to explore an idea or ideology they can create their own vehicle for it). So in your case a hero band let's call em for argument the 'The Lost Dragon Souls' could be a collection of individuals - dragonewt souls - disrupted from their usual progression, but seeking to continue on their path to dragonhood (there is a dragon power hero band in MOLAD that will help). Glorantha also considers some dinosaurs to be dragonewts who were interrupted on thier progression. So the band might be a led by a hadrosaur etc. The idea is to work with the player to create a society that shares his goals. It also gives him a part of Glorantha to put some 'crunchy detail into' his band. Anway I am sure you can come up with something even cooler.

But generally I say, get MOLAD, and see how you fit all those cool ideas for behaviour/magic/ideologies into your game without having to create a new culture or people, yet still keep the community aspect of the game.