Re: Re: Greg Stafford on Fetches and Commentary

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:24:36 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Andrew Dawson wrote:

> This is no worse than when the theists go to the God Plane. Also, you can
> run quick (minutes long) forays for the shaman while the theists interact
> among themselves.

The problem is that animists have little access to magic except that they get during play. Theists can spend the hero points and bring their affinities up to a par with their mundane skills, the shaman has to find suitable spirits. If they're to keep up they need regular opportunities to find the spirits they want. Constant forays to the otherside are often not relevant to the plot, and I don't have time during my games to do this regularly, even if only a few minutes long. Instead, I let the shaman capture the spirits that are in the game for good plot reasons - the three ghosts in Rainbow Mounds, for example.

> Any long involved hunt for a really special spirit by the
> shaman should be equivalent to a foray into the God Plane by the theists
> and should be given as much attention by the GM.

Agreed. But I also don't want to get into "so, what sort of spirit do you want this week?" at the start of every session.

> (This is all assuming that
> the theists don't drag the poor shaman into the God Plane at any opportunity.)

So far, every one of theists is insisting that they would need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the God Plane, at least for an interesting, "we're the leaders of the heroquest" type thing. I suspect the Humakti is going to go for Devoted soon, so this will change. (as an aside, I don't let players start devoted - they have to earn it during play.)

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net