Re: Uz society

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 10:15:53 -0000

> At worst the females only need wait another generation to regain
power.
> That is were I am not so sure. That they might do it, I have no
doubt.
> That it is certain to happen, I disagree. I'd assume males would
try to
> counteract mothers' influence on offspring.

I find it hard to see how they could do this. Males play little to no role in raising Uz children, and all the magic required to birth children (and there's a lot of it) is feminine magic. This means they must have significant freedom and magical power even in societies that are dominated by males.

Perhaps I should clarify what I mean by social dominance. I'm talking about who controlls strategic decision making such as where we will live, who we will fight or trade with, how resources will be distributed. Even when males are in overall controll of these matters, the females will still exert significant influence, even controll, over matters related to family life and reproduction. Troll instinct, psychology, biology and magic require this.

> I mean, in real world, thirty years ago the mothers had a great
deal of
> influence on the offspring but it was still an heavily male
dominated
> society. Today, even if there is still work to do, women have
taken there
> place and I doubt it is going to change back to the "not-so-good
old ways".

I don't think you can meaningfuly extrapolate troll behaviour from human behaviour. Remember that troll behaviour is largely instinctive and therefore invariable compared to human culture.

Andrew Solovay:

>But every generation where the females do not rule is a generation
>where the connection to Kyger Litor becomes weaker. If they don't
>take extraordinary actions, they'll have a lot of trouble
>producing Uzko children.

I wouldn't go this far. The Shadow Empire was ruled by male trolls for hundreds (even thousands?) of years and they were still trolls at the end of it. Just because the males are in power doesn't mean the females are bereft of influence or magic. In fact in situations like that I'd expect that power would actualy be split between power over external and internal affairs, with females playing at least a prominent role in the latter.

Simon Hibbs