Re: Magic in Glorantha?

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:19:30 -0000

Howdy all -

Ibn Fadlan's account of the Rus has a nice description of a Rus trader invoking his "social magic":

"When the ships come to this mooring place, everybody goes ashore with bread, meat, onions, milk and intoxicating drink and betakes himself to a long upright piece of wood that has a face like a man's and is surrounded by little figures, behind which are long stakes in the ground. The Rus prostrates himself before the big carving and says, "O my Lord, I have come from a far land and have with me such and such a number of girls and such and such a number of sables", and he proceeds to enumerate all his other wares. Then he says, "I have brought you these gifts," and lays down what he has brought with him, and continues, "I wish that you would send me a merchant with many dinars and dirhems, who will buy from me whatever I wish and will not dispute anything I say." Then he goes away.   If he has difficulty selling his wares and his stay is prolonged, he will return with a gift a second or third time. If he has still further difficulty, he will bring a gift to all the little idols and ask their intercession, saying, "These are the wives of our Lord and his daughters and sons." And he addresses each idol in turn, asking intercession and praying humbly. Often the selling goes more easily and after selling out he says, "My Lord has satisfied my desires; I must repay him," and he takes a certain number of sheep or cattle and slaughters them, gives part of the meat as alms, brings the rest and deposits it before the great idol and the little idols around it, and suspends the heads of the cattle or sheep on the stakes. In the night, dogs come and eat all, but the one who has made the offering says, "Truly, my Lord is content with me and has consumed the present I brought him."

In my Glorantha, magic is inextricably woven into Gloranthan societies - an Issaries trader will invoke the feats and affinities of Issaries to sell his wares. A Lhankhor Mhy lawspeaker will use his Find Precedent feat. When the earth is tough, the Barntar farmer will use his Agriculture affinity to break through it. If I recall, Greg and I had a discussion about this on one of the digests a few years back.