Re: New occupation: Boatman

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:44:34 -0500

Oliver D. Bernuetz writes:
> wrote:
> > Here's a stab at a new occupation (Boatman) that I intend to
> > be
>
> I think it looks pretty good. I'd suggest that sailing could
> be an alternative, i.e. they get boating or sailing (or both)
> since sail is a pretty common option on big rivers. I don't
> think portage would be a normal ability since you want this
> occupation to be used on navigable rivers which don't tend to
> have portages.

Yup, good point. I provided Sailing in addition to Boating. Although it might be useful to distinguish between small-rig sailing and big-rig sailing.

> With a few minor modifications you could use it for fisherfolk
> too:
>
> Agile, Boating (and/or Sailing), Brawling or Dagger Fighting
> or Net Fighting(?), Hold Drink, Jury-rig Repair, Know Local
> Waterways, Load and Stow Cargo or Fishing, Neogtiate Fare or
> Negotiate Price for Fish, Swim, Tie Knots.

I changed 'Negotiate Fare' to 'Haggle', to cover both kinds of Negotiation. Net fighting seems unlikely to me... is this kind of thing commonplace among riverside cultures?

--
Viktor Haag : Software & Information Design : Research In Motion
                              +--+