Magic in Glorantha/Moral Conduct

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:30:14 -0000

Okay one last kick at the can and then I promise to drop the subject.

I never, ever, ever suggested people don't use magic in Glorantha and I certainly never mentioned combat. The discussion was on whether people would always use interpersonal communication magic, like Persuade Buyer, etc. I firmly believe that people use whatever magic they have as the situation warrants it. I'm in a fight, I augment as much as I can OR I use active feats, etc, as the situation warrants. I completely agree. In fact I believe people almost always augment. Why not? It's easy, it makes me better at what I'm doing, I'm emulating my god, whatever.

Now I'm fighting a training duel. Do I pull out all the magical stops? Depends on what kind of person I am or on the situation doesn't it? I might want to kill this bastard I'm duelling despite what the rules demand.

Same thing goes for the Issaries trader. I'm supposed to deal fairly with my clan. So do I take the shirt off his back by hitting him with everything I've got? What do you think?

It's another Orlanthi clan how do I deal with them? Now it's some Lunars. Do I pull out all the stops when screwing these boys (in a monetary sense) would feel so good? Despite the fact that it might get my stead burnt down and my kin enslaved?

I'm playing a game with my kids, do I play as well as I can despite knowing I'll probably win anyway? Depends on what kind of person I am.

Do I still think using active feats/spells/spirits, etc. when all I've got to defend with is a 14 is unfair? Yes. Frankly it's like shooting fish in barrel. Would I shoot a fish in a barrel if I was hungry? Yes. Doesn't make it any less fair.

Is it worse for a Humakti to slaughter Joe Grunt using just his blade or with magic a blazing? Peasant's still dead but what do his buddies think?

I guess my point was that I think there are plenty of occassions when I'm not going to use my magic or even the fullness of my abilities whether it's fair or not. Just because we have guns in our society doesn't mean we get to use them when we want. And if you think traders in our society don't have restrictions on what abilities, etc. they can use to sell goods you're wrong.

If my chief is always using his command followers to get me and others to do things isn't he doing something wrong? Shouldn't he be able to persuade us without using magic? Must not be much a chief. And I think the same goes for anyone in Glorantha there's plenty of occassions not to go all out.

Is it acceptable for an Issaries devotee to use all his magic in trades with me? Yes. Am I crazy for trying to deal with him? Yes. Is he picking on me? Depends on who I am doesn't it?

Thanks for your indulgence.

Oliver