An Issaries Riposte

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 16:43:11 -0800

People,

> From: "Oliver D. Bernuetz"

>Okay one last kick at the can and then I promise to
>drop the subject.

Nah, keep it up if you need to!

>I never, ever, ever suggested people don't use
>magic in Glorantha and
>I certainly never mentioned combat. The discussion
>was on whether
>people would always use interpersonal communication
>magic, like
>Persuade Buyer, etc. I firmly believe that people
>use whatever magic
>they have as the situation warrants it. I'm in a
>fight, I augment as
>much as I can OR I use active feats, etc, as the
>situation warrants.
>I completely agree. In fact I believe people
>almost always augment.
>Why not? It's easy, it makes me better at what I'm
>doing, I'm
>emulating my god, whatever.

OK good. and for the record, was only using the combat and LM examples as a parallel to describe the commonality of magic.

>Now I'm fighting a training duel. Do I pull out
>all the magical
>stops? Depends on what kind of person I am or on
>the situation
>doesn't it? I might want to kill this bastard I'm
>duelling despite
>what the rules demand.

Well, I can{t imagine training someone you{d want to kill. But in the training circumstances, of coure you{d not use the full magic when you are pteaching someone. Ever teach a kid to play checkers? So of course you don{t use it all the time.

>Same thing goes for the Issaries trader. I'm
>supposed to deal fairly
>with my clan. So do I take the shirt off his back
>by hitting him
>with everything I've got? What do you think?

What the heck are you trading within your own clan for? The clans own most everything anyway, and that Issaries guy's job is to get swtuff so the clan can give it to you.

>It's another Orlanthi clan how do I deal with them?

Pull out the stops of couse. Full magic. Why would you restrain yourself?

> Now it's some
>Lunars. Do I pull out all the stops when screwing
>these boys (in a
>monetary sense) would feel so good? Despite the
>fact that it might
>get my stead burnt down and my kin enslaved?

Of course you do. Those bastards are going to burn it down anyway, and you might as well get a few licks in in advance. :) And how will they know if they are "cheated" anyway. What are they trading for in the first place?

>I'm playing a game with my kids, do I play as well
>as I can despite
>knowing I'll probably win anyway? Depends on what
>kind of person I
>am.

My example above. It{s a teaching situation. Among friends.

>Do I still think using active feats/spells/spirits,
>etc. when all
>I've got to defend with is a 14 is unfair? Yes.
>Frankly it's like
>shooting fish in barrel. Would I shoot a fish in a
>barrel if I was
>hungry? Yes. Doesn't make it any less fair.

Fair? Oh my goodness, where in the world does fair come into this? Remember, your clan is your kin, and you{d treat them like you would your children, etc.

>Is it worse for a Humakti to slaughter Joe Grunt
>using just his blade
>or with magic a blazing? Peasant's still dead but
>what do his
>buddies think?

Here is an exception, I beleive. For instance, if I don{t actually NEED all the magic, because I am a sword lord facing a grunt, then I might not use it just for my own ease and satisfaction.

>I guess my point was that I think there are plenty
>of occassions when
>I'm not going to use my magic or even the fullness
>of my abilities
>whether it's fair or not. Just because we have
>guns in our society
>doesn't mean we get to use them when we want.

Not an appropriate comparison, really. But think of it this way: if you have some guys busting into your house at 3Am and your wife and kids are screaming, are you going to just load two bullets into the gun to be fair?

>And
>if you think
>traders in our society don't have restrictions on
>what abilities,
>etc. they can use to sell goods you're wrong.

Of course they do, but we aren{t living as a clan in Glorantha.

>If my chief is always using his command followers
>to get me and
>others to do things isn't he doing something wrong?

Nope.

> Shouldn't he be
>able to persuade us without using magic? Must not
>be much a chief.

Maybe. So you better be careful about who you choose.

>And I think the same goes for anyone in Glorantha
>there's plenty of
>occassions not to go all out.

Yes, agreed. There are absolutely occasions when you might withhold.

>Is it acceptable for an Issaries devotee to use all
>his magic in
>trades with me? Yes. Am I crazy for trying to
>deal with him? Yes.
>Is he picking on me? Depends on who I am doesn't
>it?

Nope. Because you are by definition some with whom he is trading. Adn remember, he doesn{t trade with his own people.

>Thanks for your indulgence.

This is fun, for me.

YGWV.
Continued below.

>Subject: Re: Magic in Glorantha/Moral Conduct
>
>It also vaguely seems elitist, IMO -- it smacks to
>me of the "good
>ol' days" of the Other System where peasants are
>level 0-schmucks.

I am perplexed here.
OF COURSE it is elitism.
And if I want to eat, those pesants better be good farmers. That is why I am trading for them.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford