cultural weapons?

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:15:57 -0000

Since I either don't have or can't find my old RQ3 Genertela booklet, I was looking for info on the characteristic weapons of each of the homelands listed in HQ.

Note 1: yes, certain homelands give a particular weapon skill, so obviously that will be a common one there.

Note 2: yes, warriors and soldiers may adopt all sorts of weird weapons. But there will still be the "when I think of a warrior or soldier of my culture, this is what I picture" for each homeland.

Note 3: Yes, hunters everywhere use bows, herders everywhere will typically know bow or sling, in cities everywhere people are usually limited to daggers and cudgels by various laws, traditions, and rules of etiquette, etc. See point 2 for why I don't care about all the exceptions.

So, to start:

Heortlings:

The fyrd use spear and shield, and throw javelins (although rarely well). Warriors usually learn sword and shield, and also throw javelins.

Tarsh: Axe and shield is predominant for hand weapons. For missile weapons ????

Praxians: spears and/or swords, both with shields, execpt for the pygmies. Bows except amongst bison riders.

Grazers: Bows are the primary weapon. Warriors learn spear and sometimes sword (both with shield)

Esrolia: "square axes" are the classic weapon, although various traditions no doubt use a variety of other melee weapons too. Missile weapons?

Esruvalar: ??????

Seshnala: Only knights are typically armed. They may carry a broad range of melee weapons, but most commonly sword and shield, with some great swords as well. Missiles ?????

Dara Happa: Civilians have their daggers and generally avoid major conflicts. Army troops have a range of traditional weapons, the most famous of which are the phalanx with their great spears and shields. The phalanx doesn't use missile weapons, that is someone else's job.

Puma People: Don't have troops. Many are hunters, or at least dabble in it as part of their wilderness survival, so learn the bow.

Teshnos: ?????

Additions and corrections are welcome!

--Bryan