Re: Teshnos

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:45:37 -0000

True dat. "Sureshot" could be used for any sort of missile I suppose.

> 2. In a caste-ridden society you would expect all sorts of ritual
> restrictions and limitations, restricting low-caste hunters would
fit
> in with that. I don't think such a limitation should apply to
> soldiers who should probably be regarded as of a distinctly higher
> sub-caste (if not of an entirely higher caste).

Agreed. Although IMO the caste restrictions in Teshnos should mostly be for how impressive things are, not how practical they are. They just don't seem to me like they'd be willing to work hard enough to stop people from having tools that would really help them.

> 3. I just like the idea of invaders of Teshnos being harried by
blow-
> dart wielding hunters, never knowing if a sting is an insect bite
or
> a poisoned dart. Its a MGF thing.

Hmmmm, blowguns will only take down big prey if they use poison darts, and there is certainly nothing in the magics of the Invisible Leopard to suggest poisons. Yet what good is being a hunter in the jungle if you can't go after the rogue tiger terrifying the village, or protect rich city folk who want to see the wild Hoo-bird?

Mind you, for most hunting, a self bow does a reasonable job, especially with the limited visibility in the jungle usually meaning you aren't making long range shots. On the other hand, those highly trained (if largely ceremonial) warriors will have competitions of accuracy and long range shooting.

So if it ever matters to me I might make it that hunters can only use a self bow. Warriors will therefore of course NEVER use a self bow, as that would imply they were mere hunters. I actually wouldn't have a problem with the warrior castes even using composite long bows (as if that archery magic wasn't enough already!), although probably regular composite bows is more reasonable.

--Bryan