Re: Re: Broos at Moonbroth

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:37:30 +1300

Rob wrote:

>I disagree. Expedience a bridge too far here.

>Thats ok as far as poltical or ideological opponents may be. But
>theologically opposed? I don't think so. Its like saying christians
>would ally with satanisits to take out another religious sect. Not
>likely.

RW history again provides many examples of theologically opposed people co-operating. The Tlaxcallans co-operated with the Christian Spaniards to destroy the Aztecs even though the Tlaxcallans worshipped the same gods as the Aztecs. The Holy Roman Emperor Charles V was quite happy to use Lutherans to sack Rome in his campaign against the Pope. Likewise the French Kings were not adverse to doing deals with the Great Turk against their common enemy, the Holy Roman Empire. That Empire was also doing deals with Persia against the Ottoman Turks.

--Peter Metcalfe