Re: Heortlings and inheritance

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 12:12:35 +0100

Jeff:

> > > Obviously a lot of your wealth (i.e.
> > > cattle, rights to fish a particular spot, etc) belongs more to the
> > > family or bloodline than yourself.
> >
> > Rights to land, natural resources etc. are distributed by chieftains
> > bloodlines
> >
> Odal rights, if I recall?

I have thought of this before, but never got around to adressing it, but this is to my eyes a very odd definition of odal. In scandinavian (at least swedish) practice odal means the exact opposite: odal is property that is _not_ shared, but exclusively owned by one single part.

Nils Weinander
The world is a beautiful place and it's worth fighting for

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com