Re: Cultural weapons

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 03:07:58 +0100

Chris :

> > > Praxians work bone and horn pretty well.
> > > Apart from rocks, it is the hardest thing
> > > that have available to them.
> >
> > Gloranthan bone has often been described as
> > a *metal*, remember ...
>
> Yeah, but that's GODS' bones.

OK, maybe "described as" was too strong.

"implied to be", maybe.

IIRC, this was a suggestion in one of Sandy's articles. Can you ask him if my impression is mistaken, or not ?

If gods' bones are metal, probably people's bones can be magically/mythically identified as "metal", no matter what the actual 'truth' is here.

> > I think that a sufficiently proficient
> > craftsman/magician could probably shape
> > bone as easily as any other metal,
>
> It is not a metal. It is carved, then glued if
> needed, then enchanted to hold together.

Obviously, I didn't put enough qualifiers into my statement.

I'd say that IMG it's a brittle metal that is usually carved, but with sufficient skill [D+30] and patience it can be hammered and shaped.

> > Bone can be enchanted, or so I understand
> > Sandy's suggestions, to be as hard as bronze
>
> I agree that it can be sufficiently enchanted to be
> treated as bronze. This would be a story
> consideration for me, so I woul dnot make it a
> mechanic.

I agree.

> For example, if the clan lost its best
> weapon-maker, the clan might be reluctant to engaged
> in pitched battles. Apostates would find their bone
> weapons were more fragile than normal. Etc.

Or other stories. Sure.

Julian Lord

--
"Hmmm, I've heard of other powers.