Re: Dismembered gods (was Re: Belintar & Nysalor)

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:30:58 -0500

At 02:22 PM 2/18/2004 +0000, bethexton_at_... wrote:
>wrote:
> > So getting broken into bits may not be a big deal for a
>god or
> > spirit (no idea about saints). For heroes like Belintar, it may be
>more
> > complicated/less successful. I suppose it depends on how "godlike"
>he
> > really is....
> >
>Notice that in KoS Orlanth was broken into 48 parts, and being broken
>into "all 49" would have been a very bad thing. Whereas Belintar has
>been broken into 7 pieces according to MoLaD. So since 7^2 = 49, we
>can conclude that Orlanth is an order of magnitude more godlike than
>Belintar ;-)

         Perhaps one of our math experts (Alex Ferguson?) can give us a mathematical analysis of the situation: did Orlanth save one part that could have been cut in two? Were the remain pieces irreducible in some way or could any one be divided, thus dooming the god? Would Wakboth have to carefully "shave" 1/48 off each bit to make the last "piece?" There must be some mathematical approach that can enlighten (or confuse) the situation in an entertaining manner....

         As to your second point, perhaps Belintar needs to be further divided to get rid of him. All we really know is that he is an order of magnitude less divided than what would have done in the Big O, and he's not gone yet (or so his followers believe)....

Peter Larsen