Re: eurmalis in clans

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:59:01 -0800

> And if I remember my Thunder Rebel well, there is no real difference
> between individuals in Orlanthi culture? It's all bloodline respon-
> sibility, right? So if the trickster does something evil, the player's
> bloodline's responsible for it?

Not quite - an individual has a responsibility to repair any problems he makes. It doesn't matter if he stole something, or killed someone, or failed to repoair a fence so that the cows got out - it's his repsonsibility to make it better. Now, if he doesn't do it, you can sue him to get recompense - either he fixes it, or he gives you something for your problem (or both). However, it's your responsibility to actually collect the judgment. If he still fails to make right, then you can go after his kin because it's *their* responsibility to make sure that he does it.

Responsibility flows the other way as well - if I get into trouble, my kin are supposed to back me up, unless what I did was so horrible that they can sever their kinship with me (outlawry by kin).

Realism, however, determines how much you can get from someone - If you & all your kin are stickpickers, and that Uroxi steals your wife, well, they can laugh it off if you sue them, unless you get someone even more powerful than the Uroxi to support you.

Unbound tricksters are basically outlaws - no-one is going to sue if you kill one. Bound Tricksters are the personal responsibility of whoever bound him. Kin ties don't come into it. Note the boxed text on Storm Tribe 63 concerning severing Kin ties.

RR
- Richelieu