Re: The Magic of Others - learning Theist magic (Was Heortling Common Magic thread)

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:36:02 -0000

> A devotee has devoted themselves to one god, emulating them above
> others. They can't make promises of fealty, service or support to
> other gods.

I understand that being a devotee is supposed to be restrictive - however a devotee should be able to make promises or bargains to other gods that their own god made. Otherwise, I think that we are letting game mechanics dictate Gloranthan magic - rather than having Glorantha dictate the mechanics.

> (You know what I mean. Those little prayers like, "Humakt, if you
> give me victory in this fight, I shall sacrifice my best ram to
you"
> to "If I survive this, Brevara, I shall devote myself to you.")
>
> A devotee just doesn't have as much to bargain with... They're
> already spoken for.

For me, the key question for any game mechanic or rule is whether it interferes with my players' exploration of Glorantha. If Harmast could sacrifice a ram to Humakt for victory (and I can think of no indication that he did or did not) then devotees should be able to. If Harmast could not sacrifice to gods other than Orlanth, then the rule is probably right.

Does that make sense?

Jeff