Re: The Magic of Others - learning Theist magic (Was Heortling Common Magic thread)

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 02:53:50 -0000

> Maybe this is pointless or fruitless effort to find loophole, but
it
> Arming of Orlanth Ritual, Humakt is called just a sword of
Orlanth's
> own, not god with persona. Even if you name Humakt in the ritual,
it
> might mean that you just invoke the wielder of it.

This is my point - I think folk are trying to define Glorantha through a (IMO) clumsy game mechanic. I agree that devotees are dedicated and identified with their god. But I don't think that they can't follow in their gods path and ask another god (and not just his or her worshippers) for help.

At the end of the day, the Heortlings worship a pantheon of gods and goddess - complete with weird mysteries, subcults and other oddities. Some Heortlings dedicate themselves to a single god or goddess of that pantheon and identify themselves solely with that god or goddess. But that doesn't (or shouldn't) mean that they are *cut off* from the other gods of their pantheon.

Just my two cents -

Jeff