Re: Two swords

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:53:36 +0200 (EET)

> Bear in mind that this is almost certainly sword and
> short-sword, not two "full-size" swords. Using two
> full swords, one in each hand, for anything but
> thrusting, is a good way to cut your own arm off.

It's a good technique for a swordsmaster. It takes a different style, but will really confuse your opponent.

There was a nice incident in King of Dragonpass (the computer game) where a stranger comes and challenges the best fighter in the clan. It refers to the strangers way of fighting with two swords and a shield as a "trick". That's pretty much what it is.

For a swordsman with ambidexterity and really good coordination, the two sword style can be a devastating asset.

> There was a technique that used it historically, with
> two rapiers (seventeeth century I think), but even
> then it was a gimmick.

It's a trick. I wouldn't try it with a rapier. Two broadswords or scimitars, though...

> I'd rate it as more effective than sword&shield
> myself: but HQ is not a simulationist game, and the
> differences in effectiveness of weapon type are lost
> compared with differences in skill level of the person
> wielding them.

Indeed. One can give the person a bonus in a _duel_, against an opponent who hasn't come across the technique before. Same goes with anything surprising, like being lefthanded.

        -Adept