Re: Re: Dream walking?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:30:47 +0000 (GMT)

> The Heortling are clan exogamous for marriage,

(sigh) I said this was going to get into arguments about sources, didn't I? No. They're bloodline exogamous for both marriage and sex, and have various clan-level rules as well.

The main source for all of this is the "Report on the Orlanthi", KoS, pp238-260. And it contradicts itself.

p250 "Bloodlines are exogamous.."
p250 "The clan is also responsible for overseeing marriages within its bloodlines..."

But later on under "Tribes":
p254 "The simplest tribes are those bound together in Triaty. This simply means that the three exogamous clans take wives *only* from one other clan." So these clans are *specified* as being exogamous.

Futher down p254:
"clans are exogamous, and the wives must come from someplace else" - notice that this completely ignores those clans where it's the husband who moves, not the wife.

"All clans have a list of prohibited clans, with whom marriage or sex is forbidden, in order to prevent unwitting incest. Most clans have a second list of prohibited marriages, due to ancient feuds and other historical events. Many have a select list of possible clans to marry, perhaps vague (all animal clans) or specific by clan name."

Like I say, it contradicts itself. I think we can accept that bloodlines are exogamous, but the rules about clans seem to vary enormously from one clan to anther.

Jane Williams

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html