Re: Re: How high and hard?

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 07:16:49 -0500

At 09:34 PM 3/22/2004 +0000, Jeff wrote:
> > The Stormwalk Mountains have widely spaced peaks carefully noted,
> > which does suggest high peaks with somewhat lower areas between
>them
> > ( as opposed to long ridges that are all roughly the same height).
> > For some reason I tend to envision the Rockwoods as more of the
>high
> > ridge without such distinct peaks type of mountain, but that is not
> > based on anything.
>
>Possible. The Stormwalks are not quite in the same league as the
>other two ranges.

         The biggest problem with getting over the Stormwalk Mountains may not be the peaks -- suppose you are travelling east from Sartar. You have your choice of pissing off the Wasp Riders or the Kitori or going through the Print, none of which are really great options. Then you have to deal with the various spirits, daimones, (essences?) which live on individual mountains, plus Wind Children, mountain men, various weird hermits, isolated families with bizarre and probably fatal habits. When you get out, if you are at the northern end, you may stumble into one of the temples, which can't be a good idea unannounced (doubly bad if the Lunars catch you and think you are carrying messages to one of the unsubdued temples or scouting the New Moon Temple). When you add up all this, getting over mundane peaks, finding those tricky paths, and not freezing or starving to deal seems positively simple....

Peter Larsen