Re: How high and hard?

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:34:40 -0000

I don't think so, myself. Those ranges were put down by the gods to keep waring peoples separate. They seem to do a very good job of it too...

> BUT Assuming that most of them don't have an extensive array of
> defenses, it would seem that many heroes should be able to fly
over,
> or climb over, or somehow bypass with magic, most of these
mountains.

The Rockwoods and Mislari Mountains are Himalaya-class mountains. Real "Roof of the World" stuff. There are very, very few passes through them and any of them are easily defended by the locals.

Even in ancient times something comparatively minor like the Alps were relatively easily defended by the locals and the mountains you refer to are much more impressive.

I suppose you could fly over them - though I don't know how high up Air goes...

> Which raises the question of just how high and hard to climb are
the
> Rockwood and Stormwalk mountains, and what sort of magical
resistance
> might they have to being bypassed (obviously they are pretty
> mundanely resistant).

The Stormwalk are not nearly quite the same difficulty but no one's gotten through the Rockwoods except through tunnels or flying except at the few passes - there's one in back of Dakori Inkarth known by a certain Joh Mith and then there's Gon Orta's Castle.

> The Stormwalk Mountains have widely spaced peaks carefully noted,
> which does suggest high peaks with somewhat lower areas between
them
> ( as opposed to long ridges that are all roughly the same height).
> For some reason I tend to envision the Rockwoods as more of the
high
> ridge without such distinct peaks type of mountain, but that is not
> based on anything.

Possible. The Stormwalks are not quite in the same league as the other two ranges.

> I know that Wind Children inhabit certain peaks, and may discourage
> flyers. Are there other general reasons not to fly over?
> Territorial wind daimones? Flying magic facing particular
penalties
> at extreme heights? (I suppose one issue is that most of the
> mountains have inhospitable populations on at least one side of
them).

Mountains are also the playground of wind, storm, cold, ice and snow entities. Much to contend with - and many of them are probably quite powerful (Minor horrors like 10w3 Hrolli seem fairly reasonable in the permanent snowcaps).

> Any feedback would be helpful. My original reason for asking had
> do with the Stormwalk mountains, but others may have similar
reasons
> to cross the Rockwoods.
>
> Regards;
>
> Bryan

If you could find even a dangerous but exploitable pass through the Rockwoods or the Mislari, you could probably name your own price to those who want to use it... if you could hold onto it.

Hope this helps!

Jeff