Distances in Glorantha

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:47:14 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Dr Moose wrote:

> > What is the crack with distances on the Dragon Pass LoT map. Is
> > this an old thread? Everything seems really bunched up.
>
> IIRC this is an old chestnut, and I've never been totally sure about
> the truth of the answers. (Such as whether the maps started in miles
> and were converted to kilometers, or whatever).

At some point in history, Glorantha was scaled really small, and terribly overcrouded. I recommend searching the archives with the keyword scale. There has been a lot of talk about this.

Personally I like to "correct" the scale of Glorantha so that Heortland is about the scale of the island of Ireland. This way the population figures are about right for an early iron-age setting and the ten million population Empire is about the size of the Persian empire.

When the map reads miles, multiplay by four, when in reads kilometers, multiplay by six.

I haven't checked if this is still true with the newest maps.

Still, easy enough to fix for those of us that find such important.

        -Adept