Re: Distances? Trave Rates!

From: S. Ben Melhuish <sben_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:54:13 -0800

On Mar 31, 2004, at 1:48 PM, Jeff wrote:

> Distance from point a-b aside, I'm more interested in travel rates by
> foot, horse, cart and boat. Sadly, we don't have those to date in a
> HeroQuest or HeroWars product - at least, nothing I could find. I
> think there was a fairly good table in a Pendragon product but for
> the life of me, I can't seem to find it.

Here are some guidelines from Atlas's 4th ed. of Ars Magica, for what this is worth. It assumes steady travel, not a rushed message or the like.

"Easy: The best (and rarest) of circumstances, such as a straight, level Roman road with a gentle breeze at the characters' backs": 25 miles/day on foot, 30 on horse, 15 by wagon.

Light (good weather, good medieval road): 20 miles/day foot, 25 horse, 10 wagon.

Medium (typical conditions: rocky, rutted road, or good road in bad weather): 15 miles/day foot, 20 horse, 8 wagon.

Hard (typical road in bad weather, or "unescorted travel through the wilderness"): 10 miles/day foot, 12 horse, 3 wagon.

Very hard (blizzard or hurricane, or horrible terrain such as a sloping rock field): 5 miles/day foot, 3 horse, not at all by wagon.

Terrible ("one does not usually travel under such conditions, as fatalities can result"): 2 miles/day foot, 1 horse.

If I recall (from elsewhere), the horse times aren't significantly longer than foot times since the horses' *real* purpose (for steady travel) is to take loads off the travellers; they also need to be grazed. (The Ars Magica rules take this into account in their "fatigue levels", which I've excluded from this summary; in brief, you get die penalties due to fatigue, which increase as travel conditions get worse.)

Whether or not they're "realistic", I've found them to be good rules of thumb for gaming purposes.

--
Means and Ends, a Nobilis series
http://pile.org/means/