Re: Distances in Glorantha

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 17:24:38 -0000

> Well, "comfortable" as in "you won't have the mental discomfort of
> worrying if you get there before the sun goes down" perhaps.
> And "possible" as in "for an imperial messanger, with access to
> remounts, using powerful magic meant for precisely this purpose,
> provided nothing goes wrong"
>
> Which in a way is a bit like saying "formula 1 drivers can do 500
> miles in Y hours, so doing 400 miles in Y hours should be
> comfortable/possible." Well, sure, it is....if you have a high
speed
> vehicle and can claim priority, know you won't take too long
> refuelling, etc. It still doesn't have much to do with ordinary
> travel rates.

This sounds right to me. For instance, the Pony Express had a new rider every 75 to 100 miles, and each rider got a fresh horse every 10 to 15 miles. As a result it took the Pony Express about 10 days in summer (12 to 16 in winter) to get from Missouri to California. Thirty years later, my great-grandparents took two or three times as long just to get from Missouri to Oklahoma by Conestoga Wagon.

Jeff