Re: Re: Distances? Trave Rates!

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 00:09:02 GMT

In message <c4i3a6+8usf_at_...> "Kevin McDonald" writes:
>Jeff wrote:

>> Distance from point a-b aside, I'm more interested in travel rates by
>> foot, horse, cart and boat. Sadly, we don't have those to date in a
>> HeroQuest or HeroWars product - at least, nothing I could find.
>
>ILH-1 page 12:
>A man walking = 15-20 miles per day (MPD) on a good road.

An experienced walker can easily do 20 miles a day on footpaths with a fair bit of up and down hills. I've done it myself when I was much younger. ISTR it was about 4pm when we finished having started about 10am so a full day would allow for longer travel as long as the traveller was fit.

IIRC the Roman legions were trained to do a 20 mile march and then build a fortified encampment within a day.

>Horse & Cart = 15-30 MPD on a good road, depending on load.

A horse and cart going faster than a walker? Possible for a light carriage I suppose.

>A man on horseback = 15-30 MPD on a good road, more with remounts.

A horseman has got to be faster than a horse and cart.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/