Re: Re: Inaccurate miles?

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:59:06 +0100

"jeffrichard68" <richj_at_...> writes:

>The spatial arrangment of Dara Happan maps
>often have little relationship to actual places or geography (for
>instance, I think most still include Nivorah and Elempur).
>
>Now the Lunars (thanks to Irripi Ontor and Etyries) actually have
>some pretty good representative maps that are useful to travellers.

Following this up a week late... I suspect that most Dara Happan maps will actually *be* copies of maps originally drawn in the reign of Anaxial or Murharzarm, so they'll naturally include the pre-Great Darkness cities.

After all, only barbarians, soldiers, merchants and similar low-life need to use maps to travel around from place to place. A Dara Happan noble uses a map to show him how the world is structured, and to reassure himself that everything is in order. Unfortunate disarrangements since the Flood and the Ice Age are best ignored, to preserve the harmony of Yelm's realm.

Of course, the Lunars will see it differently; but I imagine they had to send out lots of mapping expeditions to find the site of Nivorah (marked on all their maps) before finally deciding it was lost...

Stephen