RE: Greetings and Felicitations

From: light_castle_at_...
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 13:39:58 -0400

Hi Jane.

On 4 May 2004 at 7:37, Jane Williams wrote:

> > Mind you, especially in the HQ main book, it's all offered as
> > tantalizing hints with very little detail.
>
> All we want is a 10-volume introductory book (sigh)....

I know. It was just my birthday, I'm still expecting presents. :-)

> Dragon Pass *is* the best detailed by far, and hence the easiest, with all
> the new scenarios set there.

I'm not too worried about coming up with scenarios if I have some stuff to work with. I don't need immense detail, hell a pamphlet-size book would almost do for any given thing. A map, a basic history of the region, something about its gods and its relations to its neighbours. But teasing out such things is tricky.

> There's a lot of fan stuff out based around Pavis, because that's the
> old-time classic adventuring setting. Still a basic Heortling culture, but
> with some foreign additions. Linked in with that, we have Sun County (the
> Prax version), though so far only the basic keywords have been adapted for
> HW/HQ (looks to see how far that's slipped down to-do-list, shudders and
> looks away).

Although I don't think my players would be too interested in it, I have to admit that Prax is pretty neat from what I've seen.

> The Lunars have a book to themselves, with more coming. I wouldn't want to
> play from it myself, it seems to just divide them into a collection of
> sub-cultures that still aren't well enough defined, but that may well just
> be me. Never did like the Lunars :)

I'm a fan. But then I always rooted for the Romans, too. I think the Lunars rock, but more for their contradictions than anything else. Lots of meat to play off of.

> How about the Uz? Trolls? Loads of pre-HW/HQ background, and the Book of Uz
> brings it all up to date? Now that's different! You can still use Dragon
> Pass as a setting, but with a *very* different culture. The Uz will *love*
> Fimbulwinter, and the Battle of Iceland is just another source of food :)

I *love* the Uz from what I can see. I'm almost certain that if my players want any part of the non-human weirdness that I'm going to put them face to face with some Uz. They're just too damn neat.

> Mind you, having said all this, I'm assuming an infinite supply of money to
> buy source books, and this is the real world. How much cash and shelf space
> do you want to devote to Glorantha?

I'm pretty decent on dedicating shelf space, but I sure as hell don't have the money to go nuts on things. Turns out a friend of mine got some gift copies of some HeroWars stuff from a convention and doesn't play it so she'll happily give them over. I don't know what she has yet, though, so I might just have to wait for that and rethink.

LC