Re: Greetings and Felicitations

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 00:18:11 -0000

>How on earth Sartar could be colonial America, given the vast
> difference in scale, is beyond me.

I think because I drew heavily on 17th and early 18th century colonial life in developing the Taming of Dragon Pass Campaign (ToDP). Remember, most of the colonies were pretty small affairs. Heck, in 1700 the population of British North America was about 250,000 people (admittedly there were 2.5 million at the time of the revolution). Most of the colonies were actually geographically quite small - although spread out along a huge coastline.

Then again, ToDP was also partially inspired by stories told by my now-deceased grandmother about homesteading in turn of the century Oklahoma (actually Indian Territory at the time).

In our current Seattle Farmers Campaign (set in Sartar under the Lunar Occupation), I still draw on colonial history - as well as Icelandic and other Scandanavian sagas, Anglo-Saxon history, medieval Irish history (remember Cattle Lords and Clansmen?), and Mycanaean Greece (I really became a Gloranthan fan while I was doing an archaeological internship in the Mediterranean).

As for the Lunars, I don't really draw on the US or British. At all. Rather I draw on Persian, Hellenistic, Indian (as in the subcontinent), Roman and Islamic sources. For the provinces, I draw on a lot of the same sources I use for the Sartarites - as well as the conversion of the barbarians to Christianity and of Romano-  Roman Gaul, etc. With bits and smatterings of utopian Bolshevism (to make Nick happy) and other random bits.

I know some folk really want to make contemporary political points in their campaigns and gameworlds. That's cool with me - after all, YGWV. Jeff