Re: Greetings and Felicitations

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 17:46:49 -0700

LC

> > For that reason I'd avoid playing a barbarian group. The Lunar
>viewpoint is
>> much closer to a modern state of mind, though. IMHO most players
>>will act correctly
> > like a Lunar by default without even realizing what they are doing.
>
>I do like that aspect for those who might be less willing/able to
>immerse themselves into
>a different culture. Especially for a first campaign.

This argument certainly has validity. The opposite approach is Griffin Mountain (which should be available from Warehouse23 -- which I think even has a Canadian branch now), where the characters start out as "cavemen." They don't actually live in caves, but as hunter-gatherers living in small bands, there is very little world information that they have to know (unlike a Lunar character, who might need to know something about his own culture, about the Lunar culture on top of that, and the Lunar religion of his choice as well). Although Balazar (the homeland in Griffin Mountain) is self-contained and far from the heart of the Hero Wars, it does have some Lunar occupation, and is visited by Heortlings, so it's a great way to lead to other parts of the world once players come to grasps with the basics of Glorantha and the HQ system.

Or at least that's the theory -- I've never done things quite like this, though I believe Greg Stafford did. (I did run a game where a novice player ran a Balazaring, and I think it worked pretty well.) If you have a player who already knows Glorantha, they could always play an exile from their homeland.

I'm on the bus so I can't check, but I'll bet Oliver Berneutz has created a Homeland: Balazar writeup.

This setup might not be to your taste, but I always found Griffin Mountain a truly excellent source. And I've used it even when not using the RuneQuest game system.

--

David Dunham