Re: Greetings and Felicitations

From: light_castle_at_...
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 07:19:29 -0000

Mike!

> We Canadians too.

Bah, I'm a Lunar Canadian. (LC!)

> I get the feeling Americans go for the individual when they are the
> individual but like the bigass powerful guys a lot. They can speak
for
> themselves.
>
> Here in Canada we like the little guy. I sometimes wonder if that
isn't
> connected to Canadian and especially British writers maiming our
heroes or
> even having not so happy endings vs. Americans liking cheery fare
with happy
> endings.

No, it's the simple fact of not having the power to assume you always get your way. The Brits lost their Empire, and we Canadians never had one. And worse, we're next door to the current Big Dog on the Block and so are VERY aware of the power imbalance.

> Do we like the little guy but then get down about his chances?

It's the classic Romantic tradition, my friend. We will rail against the gods even though we know we must lose. It is in the fight and its valiant struggle that the glory lies, not the victory. We're sort of the Man from La Mancha meets Mick Foley. :)

LC