Spol

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 21:16:09 EDT

Subject: Re: Spol; who's in charge?

> Everything I've read in both ILH vol 1 and Glorantha, Introduction
> to the Hero Wars seems to me to imply that the Carmanians are in
> charge at the Spol level, too. Does anyone out there know for
> certain?

Spol is now a part of Carmania, and has been for eight centuries or thereabouts. Beneath the umbrella of the Carmanian Church, however, the noble houses of Spol have secretly preserved certain dark traditions... just as the other satrapies have their own local colour.

Nick is spot on (no surprise there as much of this was his work to begin with!), the Spolites who rule are Carmanian, as being Carmanian is much to do with acceptance of the Word of Carmanos, Pelandans do not accept the Word. Even though ethnically the occupants of the area are Spolite (read Pelandan) some accepted the new faith and others did not and will not. Those that did have become the modern ruling Carmanians and those that did not are still slugging away with their lot as Pelandans. Think of the Christians under Ottoman rule to get the idea.

The secret Spolite heresies are a relic of that ancient time but a very enduring one. Spolitism is still thriving and has many dark aspects that colour Spolite life to this day.

Martin Laurie