Re: Re: Last Refuge of Scoundrels

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 22:58:03 GMT

In message <40A3AB8F.13919.3F91942_at_localhost> "Light Castle" writes:

>Duly noted. In fact, (this is more a rule thing) it does seem very
>difficult to figure out how "powerful" magic is in the new system. While
>I'm all for the breaking away from things like levels and such, magic in
>HQ doesn't really seem to have that sense of "here are powerful dark
>magics that you should not try until you are ready". I'm not sure that
>really is a drawback, or if it is really true. It's more a sense from
>reading the magic system.

It's up to the narrator, magic exists at all levels from the trivial to a power of the gods. If a character isn't ready to use a particular magic (hasn't got a high enough ability) there's a bigger chance of failure and if it's important the consequences of that failure should be horrible. See Contests: Victory and Defeat on pg.62 of HQ. You're getting the sense from the tone of the book which emphasises success but every success is someone else's failure. And sometimes that failure is going to be the PCs.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/