Finovan, &c / heroquesting concepts

From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:11:38 +1000

At 03:56 PM 21/07/04, ASolovay wrote:
>Since (as I understand it) all the magic in a god's pantheon comes
>ultimately from the Great God, I suppose there really isn't much
>difference between a "son of Orlanth" cult and an "aspect of Orlanth"
>cult, or even a "hero mistaken for a son of Orlanth" cult. Ultimately, it
>all comes from Orlanth.

  What it does do, though, is allow a character to do the same heroquest a number of times at different levels:

   practice, sideline character

     practice, secondary "
     practice, main  "
   hero level, sideline character
     hero level, secondary "
     hero level, main  "

   hero mistaken for god level, similar
   aspect of Orlanth level, similar
   son of Orlanth, similar
   Orlanth, similar

  Not all of these may hold, but it gives a lot of scope to a character who needs to seriously reaffirm a particular myth - do all of these levels the same way, become part of it yourself, and strengthen both the hero, the son and the god himself. Alter appropriately for gender, otherworld being and otherworld, of course.
  It means that you can do some strong heroquest work without getting experimental.
  Or you could do an Arkat and do the whole lot with the same difference, changing the myth your way.
  I can see the Lunars doing that with multiple people doing all the levels at once, carpet-bombing a myth into submission...

Paul May
0409544095

Any opinion expressed is mine, no matter where I got it from, and I retain all rights to it, should it prove to be of any value.

---