Re: Shortchanged Orlanthi Women Folk

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:15:25 -0700

> Are females able to join Orlanth and worship Destor, Hedkoranth etc,
> or is the only accepted outlet Vinga? I have a new gal in my group
> and would like to bring Vinga in to the main Orlanth cult, giving
> the female warrior greater flexibility and opportunity to move
> around if that suited her.
>
> Maybe I have it all wrong so if you can point out my errors I'd
> appreciate it!

Why are Orlanthi women "shortchanged"? This is, to me, a loaded question - at least in your mind. orlanthi women aren't supposed to be warriors, that's not their purpose in life. And no, it's not all "bareffot & pregnant in the kitchen" either. Women are the Fertile aspect of Orlanthi religion in all ways. Plus, they are the cold-blooded calculators, etc. A Female Isaries is probably a lot more daunting to your typical Orlanthi male!

Also, Earth trumps Air in the Elemental progression - just about anything a man can do, a woman can prevent. Flying? Kadone the Grounder can take care of that! Violence (in any form)? if she can't stop it with "Calm fear", Ease Anger" or the like, she can revisit back many-fold by joining Vinga or the Gors.

Any way, to get back to your question...

The "Warrior Woman" cults are over in the Gor sisters area for the most part.

Vinga is the gateway cult for women to get into Orlanth worship - first worship Vinga (and thus prove yourself 'one of the guys'), then branch out with secondary cults. Finally, I might let her drop the Vinga connection once she'd been accepted by the warband. Of course, there might be mythic repercussions if she dropped Vinga - on the "Rapist becomes broo" theme, she might develop male secondary sex characteristics, like facial hair...

RR
- Richelieu