Re: Fewmets

From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:41:54 +1000

> Me neither. From the trailers, it is *nothing* like anything Asimov wrote.
> Another "inspired by" movie, I suppose. Feh.
>
>Oh, it is. Big robot revolt caused by Evil Corporate Greed and Will Smith
>saving the day with a dishy "Susan Calvin". If you have any respect for
>an author who is no longer here to defend himself I encourge a boycott of
>this overblown piece of trash.

  It was originally two movies, one I, Robot and another one about a robot revolution with lots of cool fights and action. They got the second one and put Susan Calvin and I, Robot on as names, made reference to the 3 Laws, and released it. Has nothing to do with Asimov at all, not even 'inspired by.'
  Seeing as Asimov wrote I, Robot in *reaction* to the plethora of "robots are going to take over and enslave/kill us" stories at the time...   It has _less_ to do with I, Robot than the Starship Troopers movie had to do with the book.

[ob-topic] Now, if a myth got rewritten (in as many sources as possible, of course) before a group got to heroquest it, what's going to happen to things? You'd have to go heroquesting for the true story - and if that was also different to what you knew, where are you?   Reality hacking by 'social engineering' and sneaky document substitution... Who'd do a thing like that??

Paul May
0409544095

Any opinion expressed is mine, no matter where I got it from, and I retain all rights to it, should it prove to be of any value.

---