Re: Earth to earth

From: Jennifer Geard <geard_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:28:44 +1200

Me:
> > ... does Ernalda perhaps provide the workings for automatic
> > composting toilets?

Jane Williams:
> Oh, yes. You can have those without even needing magic, though no doubt
> Ernalda helps.

Ah, yes, although you have to knock the peaks down every so often, and given the level of tech of our people I expect that at certain times of year you'd move the building away from the pit, scoop out the contents and rack the muck across the fields. Fertiliser's too valuable to leave for one elder bush and fruit tree. :-)

(Why do I have this image of a would-be Maran follower first showing her talent by shaking down the contents of the long-drop?)

The question was actually about whether our privies are sweet enough that they're built into the longhouse. Alternatively, at least in those regions that have cold winters, are we a chamber-pot-at-night society? It's another of those odd things that's become relevant to a story.

> Dorothy Hartley's "Food in England" gives a nice detailed explanation
> and diagram of how to construct an outside privy, complete with elder
> bush and fruit tree chosen to have their roots in exactly the right
> places. Add ash from the fire, and you're sorted.

If that's the book with a diagram of how to cook a whole meal by packing various sealed packages of food into a cauldron so they can all cook in the simmering water, I think I actually own a copy.

Cheers,
  Jennifer

--
Jennifer Geard