Re: Earth to earth

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:07:40 -0700 (PDT)

Rrrrory the city-boy sez:

> Just take up the floor (and bench with hole
> in it, if you're so fancy), muck it out, and
> replace the floor. Easier than moving
> the whole building.

All of the genuine outhouses that I have seen were of the same design. The outhouse is on skids, so that it is easy to move. You dig a trench, not a hole. Position the shed so that the seat is over one end of the trench and the other end of the trench sticks out from under the shed. Now put a board over that part of the trench and weigh it down. (This is only to reduce the smell and the draft; it is not functionally needed.) When the part of the trench directly under the seat is full, you dig another foot of trench and push the shed down a foot and put some loose soil or hay over the part of the trench coming out the other side. Wait a year or so and it is good gardening soil.

Chris Lemens

New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 100MB free storage! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail