Re: Cool stuff and NPCs

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:47:14 GMT

>I used to use iron, and other rune metals, in RQ as an obvious sign to
>the players that the person was experienced and probably a difficult
>opponent. Should the NPCs be using more 'stuff'? Would it be a bad
>thing to pile that stuff onto them?

If your PCs are using lots of stuff so should your NPCs.

>I've noticed that the iron greatsword used by the Uroxi is extremely
>effective. That is true to the feel of the Widow's Tale novel where
>an iron equipped warrior was something to be feared even by the best
>fighters that did not own iron but that was an RQ world - is the HQ
>world supposed to have a different feel?

A snag with the HQ system is that the easiest way of making an NPC stronger is to increase their abilities and include a lot of the augments such as equipment in those figures. I don't see any reason not to describe the NPC as having all sorts of goodies in that situation.

I feel RQ tended to overdo the equipment and PCs tended to acquire an excessive amount of stuff but that's a very subjective view and either system can be played as you wish.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/