Cool stuff and NPCs

From: stephenmcg_at_...
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:22:16 +0100

I've been using the Sartar campaign with my group for a while now and have had the feeling that something was missing from the NPCs. I realised that it was cool stuff! :-)

I remember that rune metals were far more prevalent in RQ than they have been in my HW/HQ experience and while my party of devotees are the equivalent of the rune level parties in RQ the amount of Iron is miniscule. That may be the idea but if my players want cool stuff I like to give it to them but it does seem that in consequence the major NPCs look a bit boring in comparison!

I haven't noticed many of the NPCs using fabled weapons or armour or even just looking hard coz they've got iron.

I used to use iron, and other rune metals, in RQ as an obvious sign to the players that the person was experienced and probably a difficult opponent. Should the NPCs be using more 'stuff'? Would it be a bad thing to pile that stuff onto them?

I've noticed that the iron greatsword used by the Uroxi is extremely effective. That is true to the feel of the Widow's Tale novel where an iron equipped warrior was something to be feared even by the best fighters that did not own iron but that was an RQ world - is the HQ world supposed to have a different feel?

Stephen