Re: Cool stuff and NPCs

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:04:15 -0700

Stephen

>I've noticed that the iron greatsword used by the Uroxi is extremely
>effective. That is true to the feel of the Widow's Tale novel where
>an iron equipped warrior was something to be feared even by the best
>fighters that did not own iron but that was an RQ world - is the HQ
>world supposed to have a different feel?

HQ takes the basic approach that heroes aren't defined by their equipment (not even Elric, who carries a sword more powerful than he).

But the Sartar Rising material does occasionally mention equipment (Javis Spithorn's helmet comes to mind -- I'm away from the books). And in our games, iron is rare, and makes people stand out.

I think what's changed is the Rune Lord : Iron mapping that Widow's Tale seemed to assume.

Jane added

>But the fabled weapons and other Cool bits - yes, it's
>a bit sad, isn't it? Presumably just down to lack of
>space. Their weapons do have names, they're just not
>recorded. And the bonuses are presumably all subsumed
>in that "warrior 10W2" keyword.

I agree that most of 'em probably do have something. I think almost every character I've ever run has named magic items, and most of our other players do this too. Typically mine aren't very powerful, but right now I get a +6 bonus from (non-iron) items in combat, which is certainly handy.

--

David Dunham