Re: Cool stuff & NPCs

From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:24:49 +1000

At 04:45 AM 26/08/04, John wrote:
> > > (BTW, I'd suggest thinking through the idea of an iron or indeed bronze
> > > *shield* very carefully. There's a good reason why they're rare in the
> > > real world, and it's nothing to do with magic.)
> >
> >Oh I know, but these are buff Guys & Gals with bulging....muscles.
>And IMG, inscribing an Air or Movement rune can do wonders for apparent
>weight.

  Historical iron and bronze shields are iron or bronze faced, with a wooden backing. They were sometimes lighter than the wooden equivalent.   IIRC, the only historical all-metal shields were either ceremonial, bucklers, or little curved point-catching steel ones for jousters or fencers. [ed: one exception; Persian 'Damascus' steel flat small shields - maybe Kralorian, but rare even then.]
  The bucklers were the Spanish 'swashbuckler' bucklers, made of thin steel and dished, like a good-sized wok with arm straps in it. :) Wouldn't stop a solid hit with a broadsword or greatsword or crossbow bolt, but they were designed for deflecting points and edges and did a very good job of it.   I don't see all-metal combat shields of any kind in Glorantha, except for magical purposes or on Iron Mostali.

  Hmm. Slightly-dished large steel edged shield with an Earth rune for resilience and a sharp edge, an Air rune and a Movement rune for lightness and to have it return to me, and paint some stars and striped clouds on it...   Naaah...

Paul May
0409544095

Any opinion expressed is mine, no matter where I got it from, and I retain all rights to it, should it prove to be of any value.

---