RE: Re: Cool stuff & NPCs

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 07:59:41 +0100

> IIRC, the only historical all-metal shields were either ceremonial,
> bucklers, or little curved point-catching steel ones for jousters or
> fencers. [ed: one exception; Persian 'Damascus' steel flat
> small shields -
> maybe Kralorian, but rare even then.]
> The bucklers were the Spanish 'swashbuckler' bucklers, made
> of thin steel
> and dished, like a good-sized wok with arm straps in it. :)
> Wouldn't stop
> a solid hit with a broadsword or greatsword or crossbow bolt,
> but they were
> designed for deflecting points and edges and did a very good
> job of it.

FWIW, the bucklers we use in C15 combat are affectionately refered to as "saucepan lids". In fact they curve the other way, with the handle on the inside, not the outside, but the size is about the same though the steel is heavier.

You *might* stop a full-strength blow with a broadsword (we pull all ours of course), but I think you'd hurt your wrist doing it.

There's some great "bucklers" in museums that are almost arm-armour - strapped onto the wrist, and covered in what I can only describe as chaos spikey bits. Definitely a weapon as well as a defence.