Re: Shields [Oops]

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:17:28 -0000

Depending on how you used the shield, it could have been decoration, but I wonder if it was intended a bit like a modern "thin-shell" bicycling helmet? The thin top layer of metal would tend to cause glancing blows to skid off, rather than damaging the hide or wood underneath. Direct blows would of course go right through, and the hide or wood would have to absorb the blow, getting damaged in the process. Hmmm, depending on the quality of arrow and spear points, it may also have reduced the incidents of them getting lodged in the shield (more would clatter off without sticking). Pure speculation on my part here.

> Found that Iliad quote, in on-line translation.
>
> "As he spoke he drove his spear at the great and terrible shield of
> Achilles, which rang out as the point struck it. The son of Peleus
held
> the shield before him with his strong hand, and he was afraid, for
he
> deemed that Aeneas's spear would go through it quite easily, not
> reflecting that the god's glorious gifts were little likely to yield
> before the blows of mortal men; and indeed Aeneas's spear did not
pierce
> the shield, for the layer of gold, gift of the god, stayed the
point. It
> went through two layers, but the god had made the shield in five,
two of
> bronze, the two innermost ones of tin, and one of gold; it was in
this
> that the spear was stayed.

Obviously it is enchanted gold, with the strength of bronze :)

--Bryan