RE: Re: Shields

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:28:01 +0100

> >I gather there was a technique of battering away at a shield
> so as to tire the shield arm:

> I'm not sure who would tire first, it was probably also a
> training exercise to build up strength and endurance.

I'm sure it would work as that, too.

> For good fighters there would also be targets like the
> shoulders, elbows and head to go for. You don't have to bend
> the metal of a complex joint much to jam it and however good
> the padding is a head strike is going to give the receiver a
> headache at least.

For complex full plate, I'm sure you're right.

> >Going much further back, wasn't there once (Roman?) a class
> of heavily
> >armoured cavalry called "cataphracts"? Who had immense trouble with
> >some unarmoured peasants with clubs? I'm sure someone out
> there knows
> >more?
>
> Sarmation auxillaries, there was a unit stationed in Britain.

I suspect I was thinking of something earlier. The name "Zenobia" comes to mind (female military leader, therefore I'm interested, but it's been years since I last read her up)

> They were arguably the first
> troops to use a couched lance depending on whether you accept the
> evidence for stirrups or not. That's what I envisage Tarshite
> cataphracts wearing and possibly Carmenian ones as well.

One of the Arthurian theories, isn't it?