Re: Re: Shields

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:43:16 -0700

> Anyone know enough about the painted designs to know if they tended to
> have rotational symmetry?

Depends on the time , place and person who designed/painted it. The Saxon shields on the Bayeaux tapestry are quartered or have spiral crosses, but there is no uniformity over the ages.
Greek aspis shield designs were more like heraldry, with a distinct designs that were not radially symmetrical. Nice theory, but I'd tend to doubt it. I put painting a design on a shield more as ego (whether perosnal, or governmental).

RR
- Richelieu