Re: Re: Shields

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:07:59 +0100

markmohrfield wrote:

> The two men are in part 26. I've heard that the accuracy of the Men-
> at-arms series varies greatly depending on author, but whether or
> not it's actually William they are certainly knights and not
> peasants. On the other hand I don't see many other maces or clubs
> throughout it, except perhaps the fleeing english at the end.

What a cool website!

Given the caption - "Here Duke William asks Vital whether he has seen Harold's army." - I'd say that William is the chap with the club, which might be supposed to represent a commander's baton or something? Did the Normans use those?

As Odo is famous for using a mace at the battle and, being a bishop, was obviously one of the bigwigs, perhaps that's supposed to be him with the mace.

Regards,

Bruce