RE: Re: Flying fighters?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:08:29 +0100

> > So how do you reconcile the rule that initiates can only use their
> > improvised feats as augments (it is the rule, isn't it?) with the
> > known example of an initiate flying? These *are* the rules, and an
> > official bit of background, so while saying "ignore this rule IYG"
> > helps, it can't be the right answer, surely?
>
> As others have mentioned, Page 118: "An initiate *can*
> improvised a named feat in the affinity" (with a penalty...).
>
> You're right "Just plain old Fly" is not a feat. But "Aerial
> maneuvering", "Fly fast", and "Carry additional weight while
> flying" are all valid "fly" alternatives. They don't *have*
> to be augmentors, you know...
>
> RR

I'm sure every time this is discussed, I get more confused. And my inbox suggests that it was someone also called "RR" who said not that many posts ago:

"(Note, *I* would allow a Vanganth initiate use Flight as an active ability (at a penalty) ignoring the "Affinities are only augmentors" rule. Other Narratrors have to make their own call on that interpretation...)"

So you're saying that as long as they improvise a feat, they can use it actively? If so, we have no problem, but I don't see why in that case you'd ever want to use just the affinity (with penalty) actively. Improvising at a -5 is surely the same thing, only within the rules?