Is the Runequest Mentality Grinding The Hero out of Heroquest

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:58:25 -0000

Hi all

This is a bit controversial, but what first hooked me on Heroquest was that characters are supposed to be the movers and shakers of a community - quite literally the Heroes. This is expressed in their Hero points and the groovy stuff they get up to.

The rules seem to be getting more restrictive than I am comfortable with in certain areas, so i am inclined to ignore those rules. You know the longer you play stuff the more layers of rules you create. Just look at fatigue points in Runequest and Affinity limiting time restraints in Heroquest. In my game I don't generally run the time limit thing. Its more actually getting the opportunity to learn it which is what makes it highly unusual. Also, in my rationale, you can only be a Devotee of something you do for *the Day* job. But this discussion belongs on another list.

I am rambling,so I think I will finish by saying the best rules in Heroquest are YGWV and MGF, in my opinion.

Regards
Rob