Re: Ship of Life Church

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:16:40 +1200

Light Castle wrote:

>Now I could just give him Saint Dormal and let it go, but I like to let
>the players chart
>their own path, so while looking for options for him, we came across the
>Ship of Life
>Church. Although based in Nolos, it seems pretty traveled, so if he wants
>to have
>foresworn his native Aeolian Church, he could have taken up with them.

>I do find it interesting that Saint Dormal is not a Wizardly order, but is
>common magic
>(which makes sense, since that Open Waters spell has to be available
>beyond just the
>order), and that the Ship of Life Church doesn't have spell listed.

> So are there religious rivalries on the sea?

There's no rivalry about Dormal. Dormal is worshipped by just about anybody that
ventures across the high seas, i.e. the Loskalmi, the Quinpolic League (Ship of Life),
the Handrans, the Rightarm Islanders, the Esvulari, the Melibans, the Kralori, the
Vadeli, the Wolf Pirates, the Orange Guilds, the Umathelans, the Fonritans and the
Masloi. About the only people that don't worship Dormal are the Haragalans of the
Eastern Isles that have their own version of his prayers. Oh and the Waertagi too.

There is variation about Dormal's worship. The Malkioni worship him as a Saint while the Holy Country (and places further east) worships him as a God. In Pamaltela, there is a false version of Dormal's worship that was promulgated by the Vadeli. There are tensions between these variations, most principally among the Pamaltelans but between the Quinpolic League and the Holy Country, matters are pretty much relaxed AFAIK. If a theistic Dormali were to venture to
Loskalm then he might receive a bit of aggravation from the religious authorities
there if he isn't careful.

As for rivalry on the seas, the principal rivalry is nationalistic. The Genertelans
either support the Wolf Pirates, the Loskalmi, the Quinpolic League and the Holy Country. Any punch-up in a seaside pub is likely to be along these lines. Think of it in terms of football team allegiances and you'll have the general idea.

--Peter Metcalfe

---