Ship of Life Church

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:35:49 -0400

 Hi everybody.

In picking up my game with the summer gone, I may have mentioned I have someone making a sailor (almost certainly from Esvular). A rogue with a sense of honor kind of guy who has left his lands for the sea.

 Now I could just give him Saint Dormal and let it go, but I like to let the players chart their own path, so while looking for options for him, we came across the Ship of Life Church. Although based in Nolos, it seems pretty traveled, so if he wants to have foresworn his native Aeolian Church, he could have taken up with them.

I do find it interesting that Saint Dormal is not a Wizardly order, but is common magic (which makes sense, since that Open Waters spell has to be available beyond just the order), and that the Ship of Life Church doesn't have spell listed.

 So are there religious rivalries on the sea? Do most sailors in Glorantha just decide on practicality, what works to get them safe to harbor is the key, or are there more complex religious things going on on the seas?

 The fact is he will most likely just take Dormal since trapaising across the ocean is not going to be a major part of the game. But I must admit I'm a little curious now about sailor culture.